‘Jake’s Mowing and More’

on August 25, 2015

IMG_4505

The above photo shows how out-of-control the wormwood hedge had become during the last few years of Anthony living in the nursing home. He used to take such pride in trimming that unruly hedge, in pruning the roses, in picking the camellias, in mowing the lawns etc. As for me? I was not the least bit interested, and never have been, in gardening.

But then, a couple of months ago, I discovered Jake. I had previously employed a lawn service – a lovely couple – just to do the lawns (5 acres) and Ming was sometimes unhappy about this because he felt he should be doing it himself. Anyway, the lovely couple moved into a different profession, Ming got full-time work and, as the grass soon leapt up to knee level, I decided I needed help.

So Jake came to the rescue and not only has he controlled the wormwood, he has also made this place look like it once was when Anthony was in control of things.

IMG_4614

Yes – the above photo is of the same lengthy wormwood, now ‘Jaked’!

Anyway, yesterday this whole place was blitzed by Jake and I came home from the nursing home in the late afternoon and felt as if I were entering a park. The nostalgia was acute as I was reminded of that very first day when my parents dropped me off at this farm to be interviewed by Anthony’s rather formidable mother for the job of house-keeper/companion. I was a teenager so I didn’t really notice the garden but do remember vividly the impression that this was a place of beauty and magic.

Three decades later, this wonderful marriage tangled up by Anthony’s diseases and entry into the nursing home, this place, this farm, became a place of despair – mine. So I guess I just kind of gave up any interest in either the house or the garden; I was just too sad.

Fast forward to now and Jake’s lawn service has been a godsend in that this wonderful man, and his son and off-sider, have taken an interest in the place. I know now that I can call on Jake for garden jobs beyond lawn-mowing.

Anyone who can turn something shabby into a work of art is a person worth knowing.

IMG_4626

[Jake: 0487343141]

I have a couple of my new gardening friends coming over tomorrow morning to hopefully give me their advice on vegetable gardening and chooks, so I think I will just pretend that I mowed the lawn myself. They are sure to believe me – hahahaha!

Thank you, Jake.

44 responses to “‘Jake’s Mowing and More’

1. I am in much need of a Jake! Your place looks beautiful!

2. What a pleasure to behold to us and you!

3. aFrankAngle says:

Cheers to Jake for giving you both piece of mind and rekindled positive memories.

4. shoreacres says:

Your place looks beautiful, but I have to ask — are those palm trees I see? Somehow, I didn’t associate palm trees with your part of the world. Or are they something else? In any event, they look big and stately, which always is good!

5. very nice! Loved the backstory as well.

6. susanpoozan says:

What a wonderful man, you must be delighted to have it all look so good. After despairing about our tiny bit of garden I, too, found the answer to prayer. The woman has just left and I am thrilled beyond all measure.

7. Trisha says:

The farm looks great! My place could really use a Jake too. 🙂

8. Judy says:

I guess with that beautiful lawn, you won’t be “mow”ping anymore! I’m glad you didn’t “hedge” on doing this because it sounds so uplifting. Love the pictures of your beautiful property.

Funny you – have seen your recent posts but haven’t made time to comment properly – too busy being lazy haha!

• Judy says:

I certainly don’t consider you lazy, Julie. You’ve always been supportive. I don’t think there is a “proper” comment; I feel honored just knowing you’ve listened to my music. Honestly, you have so much on your plate – please be gentle with feeling obligations to comment properly on any person’s blog. You are loved and appreciated – even if you don’t comment. Love that “like” button and sometimes that’s enough!

9. Terry says:

How lovely your place looks. Sounds like Jake is an angel in disguise!!

10. ksbeth says:

wow, beautiful work, jake and the story is not so bad either )

Another good decision. A tidy garden and an uncluttered house make for some peace of mind.

12. Julie, it looks gorgeous – love that you threw in Jake’s number for any locals that might be interested. ❤
    Diana xo

13. Luanne says:

Chooks have wings, right?

14. Yvonne says:

I hope your friends are impressed with how well you’re keeping the garden!

Boy, along with the big clear-up you did awhile back, your place must look so good. Good on ya.

Oh, I just spoke to a caravanning couple way up here in NE Queensland. They were from Perth, and have put on many a km since they left WA.

15. Good works often lead to good friendships. 🙂

16. Vicki says:

Amazing. Jake sounds like a real Treasure (in the gardening world).
    So pleased to hear you’ve found someone who can take care of this aspect in such a wonderful and very efficient way.

17. Rhonda says:

Jake’s the man!!! So glad you found him…what a gem!

18. Tiny says:

Looks very beautiful again!

19. It is wonderful to come home to a freshly manicured yard!
    Looks great!!

20. Lynda says:

Right at this moment we are really feeling your pain with no help to get the mowing done. And Oh-boy does that grass get away from you so fast too! Thankfully, we are going into fall here and it will stop growing for awhile.
    I’m glad to know you found Jake & Co to help you out!