I am so cool!

on October 20, 2015

I feel the heat terribly and, as some of my friends may remember, a couple of summers ago, I developed a condition called “pompholyx“.

(Warning: if you click on the above link you might be grossed out by the pictures, just as I was by the condition).

Anyway, since one of the triggers is excessive perspiration, which I vividly remember my dad having and now it’s obviously my turn, I made a big decision. Air conditioning!

I pretty much live in my writing room, which used to be Gar’s bedroom (Anthony’s mother). Anyway, her 1970s air conditioner died last year, so last week I made the call and the aircon. guys and the electrician installed it this morning. It’s not a particularly hot day (only in the mid-20s C), but as I waved my saviours goodbye, I was already dripping, despite wearing a sweatband.

And now? Ahhh, the bliss of being so cool and the comfort of knowing that when the temperature hits 40 degrees (any time soon as summer approaches), I will have a safe haven! Okay so, in the big scheme of things, pompholyx may not seem like such a serious condition but it drove me quite mad for months a couple of years ago.

I was reminding our doctor the other day and he immediately looked at my hands where, during a funny little heatwave last week, the blisters had begun to appear.

Me: You can’t see them now – I scratched them off and it wasn’t that bad.

Doctor: Mmmmm.

Me: But I can feel them coming back – the blisters. So I think I might need botox to stop me sweating? I read about that possibility.

Doctor: No. I’ll order some blood tests; it could be hormonal.

Me: Yes, of course, but I don’t think it’s just menopausalish because I perspire a hell of a lot more than any of my equally menopausal friends!

Doctor: Mmmmm.

Me: And remember how we discussed cranio-facial hyper-hydrosis, or whatever you call it, last year? That’s me! It’s just my face, head and hands – the rest of me sweats normally.

Doctor: Mmmmm.

Okay so the doctor doesn’t do the mmmmmm thing loudly but it’s definitely a component of our conversations, with a chuckle here and there. I much prefer the mmmmm.

Anyway, as the young aircon. guys were leaving, I apologised for the peacock noise (it’s spring, so they are yaaaaawking constantly). One of the guys said ‘They are so cool!’

I agree and here are a couple of shots of Prince minus his back view!
IMG_4894
IMG_4899

As this beautiful white peacock does his twirling, fanning, wonderful dance, his feathers muscle their way into the breeze and sing:

I am so cool!

49 responses to “I am so cool!

1. ksbeth says:

glad you are so cool. you and the peacock both ) stay dry and prosper. –

2. susanpoozan says:

So glad you have a comfort zone in the hot weather. The peacocks look splendid.

3. Vicki says:

Just love that white peacock Prince. So cool!
    I always smile when people say ‘cool’ – it must be an age thing as I never say it.

I’ve had my reverse cycle air conditioner on and off today. I get terribly hot in this new apartment even though it doesn’t get direct sun. I have been sleeping in the raw for weeks. (note: my old flat was freezing cold all year round but delightful in summer).

Glad to hear you have got some more aircon. – I think we all need it in summer in Australia.

4. misifusa says:

So happy to hear you are cool there! Prince is spectacular! Love the photo!

5. Beautiful … white has to be very special being a peacock. I’ve never seen one before! ❤

6. Prince is stunningly beautiful from any angle! Glad you are prepared for the summer heat.

7. Trisha says:

Prince is so beautiful! I don’t know how you get anything done with your beautiful birds around. I would be at the window watching all the time. Stay cool and blister-free!

8. Judy says:

That’s wonderful about the A/C, Julie. We had a very hot summer here and I survive by running mine a lot! It’s worth every penny. It “freeze” me up to concentrate on writing, too. I’m glad you’ve figured out how to keep that pompholyx condition at bay. Taking care of yourself is so important! Caregivers must care for themselves, too. 🙂

9. Prince is so cool and good for you, taking the bull by the horns and getting ahead of the coming heat. 😀

10. I’m glad that you now have a ‘safe cool place’… While I don’t break out into such a condition as you have which has to be very painful and disconcerting; with having M.S. high temperatures have an affect on me also; we are fortunate to be able to have central air so there is respite whenever I need it also.. Diane

11. Lisa Rest says:

Peacock is simply fantastic. So glad you are now cool inside. 🙂

12. Colline says:

Your peacocks are definitely cool! I love the white feathers.

13. How on earth did people survive before air conditioning, ok I do know they would sweat and complain a lot my parents got air conditioning as soon as they became available they were the first people in the street to have an air conditioner in the house and in the car they are great and my parents wouldn’t live without it. We have had ours in the kitchen, the only window we could get on in for so many years I can’t remember how long it is big 2hp one when we got it we looked at split systems but they cost a few thousand and we couldn’t afford it at the time.

14. Lynda says:

Julie, will you be moving a cot in there for summer sleeping? I know I would! I can’t sleep when it’s too hot. So glad you are getting some relief! 🙂

15. I do hope you get ahead of this awful condition! I send cool thoughts to you.

16. I don’t mind sweating when I’m doing something that is suppose to be sweat inducing. But sweating for NO reason is definitely a call for air conditioning!!!!!

17. Magnificent peacock photos! Good news about the air con. 🙂

18. Tiny says:

Sounds great that you now have a safe haven! And your price is gorgeous!!!

19. Tiny says:

Sorry for the typo, of course I meant Prince 🙂

20. Rhonda says:

Oh Jules…I’m sorry (and by the way…I’m a fellow over sweater) but your mmmmm-ing doc has me chuckling. Is it because he’s not inclined to believe you? Is it because he’s thinking? What? Anyway…I’m so happy you have your cool on now, and finger’s crossed those bloody blister stay away!!! Love you….think of you all the time. xoxox

21. aFrankAngle says:

Cheers to two cools … you in the AC and the white peacock. Meanwhile, I’ve been away, thus starting to get back in the swing. … and it seems all is normal and you are doing well.

22. oh i love air conditioning!! as i have gotten older it has become an absolute necessity. a couple of years ago i had an allergic reaction but i wasn’t sure to what. it was summer and i was so miserable!! to think i would have to go through that another summer would be enough to send me over the edge:)

love your prince! thanks for sharing. sending big cool hugs and love

23. jmgoyder says:

Thanks for the cool hugs!